Book Thoughts #27
The BreakBeat Poets
Edited by Kevin Coval, Quraysh Ali Lansana, and Nate Marshall
Hubris is a guilty pleasure of mine.
I thought I could pick up this 350 page behemoth and read it in a month. I figured 70 pages at a time, easy pace, nothing crazy.
Then life said, "Hey, your job starts soon. Good luck."
And with that, I sit here before you with a confession: I didn't finish this book.
Thankfully, I read this book back in my college time, and I remember it well enough to tell you to get it. Seriously. If you are one of those cringe-inducing folk that keeps saying, "All of the great poets are dead." and you like hip-hop especially, then get this anthology. Seriously. I can't emphasize how much it will shift you into thinking that all the best poets are old white dudes that would be over 200 years old at the minimum if they were alive now.
Get this anthology.
Or look up YouTube videos of hip-hop poets, at the very least.
It will give you a fresh incentive to really get into the newer phase of poetry and maybe actually enjoy older poetry because of the newer phase.
Seriously.
Get this anthology.
Thank me later.