Canlanma Tales, Part 5 [Repost/End]
5:Observation
The mechanical bell sounds and radiates from the depths. A single door swings aperture-like, its spiraled steel grinds against the concrete staircases below. An outpouring of works slumps out toward the rest of the city, hungry and tired and looking for some action. They stagger to their homes, clean their bodies of ash and dust, then cruise into the streets. Some head to bars, others to brothers, and even a few toward the theatres. Shouts and hollering erupt in the stale air as the insane outcasts of Canlanma comfort and numb themselves until the mechanical bell sounds again.
Hanging above the clusters of madness, Marsuvees looks through the shaded one-way mirrors he hands on. He knows these workers well, perhaps even better than the arrogant outsiders. He sneers to himself at the thought of the wealthy elitists in the Capital, or those pesky Ludumites who constantly send orders for more minerals, more materials, more liquids. More, more, more; that’s all you want isn’t it, Animus? Marsuvees rumbles. A chair scrapes against the mica floor behind him. “Brother, does a day ever go by that you don’t drift into thoughts of that pathetic child of Elyon?”
Marsuvees turns to his kin. His kin decided to take a form of a man today, dressed in a mockery of the Royal attire: a white business suit with a blue shirt, white dress shoes, and a gold tie. Underneath all of it, Marsuvees can see the markings of war and rage. Many years of war and strife with Elyon’s chosen Novel Writer on display for all to see on the pair of brothers and many like them. Both of them each other’s blue diamond markings on their back of their right hands before Marsuvees clears his throat. “Xanthic-”
“I asked you not to speak that name here. I would prefer James.” The brother stares at Marsuvees. The same attire he always wears: black jeans, black t-shirt, black trenchcoat, black Stetson. Does he even have something more formal?
“Fine. James.” Marsuvees shakes his head. “How long has it been since you’ve heard from your Princelings?”
James laughs. “It has been some time. Perhaps I should send you to check up on them.”
Marsuvees smiles. “You know that is one of my favorite things to do. I enjoy showing up unexpectedly to spite both of our daughters.”
James gives a longer, heartier laugh. “Yes, both Amethyst and Ora would enjoy seeing us again, I’m sure. However, something else has been brought to my attention.”
James summons a holographic image and motions it to Marsuvees. Marsuvees takes the orb of surveillance magic and studies it. He watches as a portal glows in a stone room and a few figures walk out in a trance toward some nearby beds. “This is peculiar indeed. Do we know who they are?” Marsuvees inquires.
James shakes his head. “I haven’t the slightest clue. But I have a way of finding out.”
“Care to share?”
“Of course. That new Princeling we have available to us-”
“You mean Hani.” Marsuvees clarifies.
“Yes. Hani.” James dismisses. “As I was saying, our newest Princeling may not be directly controlled by us -why, I still have no idea- but we can still use his senses and his own thirst for information to find out about them. No doubt he will be with our darling Novel Writer, but that might work to our advantage.”
“How so?”
“I have a suspicion that these new energies can be used to get to Animus and -potentially- destroy what she has built.”
Marsuvees eyes light up. “I can see what you mean.”
“That, and it might give us a clue to something else of interest for me.” James hints.
Marsuvees tilts his head. “Oh?”
James takes the holographic footage out of Marsuvees’ hand. “About our new friend Hani. There is something about him that bothers me.”
“And that would be?”
“For being a Princeling, I cannot control him like the other Princelings. The others I can possess at a whim, take over their senses, warp any behavior or motivation to suit what needs to be done. But with Hani, I can only see through him. As if someone else besides Animus had their hand in creating him.”
Marsuvees dwells on his brother’s words. “Perhaps a new Creator?”
“Perhaps. But I need more information. I may call on another Princeling to see this through.” James gives a single huff of amusement. “There are also whispers on the wind that a soul in Peponi may show signs of becoming a Prince due to some unfortunate relations between his and Animus’ Otito.”
Marsuvees grins. “Then perhaps I should pay him a visit.”
“Perhaps you should.” James takes a moment to get up and pour himself a drink. “Do you think you can go in covertly to find information?”
“As long as I don’t run into Amethyst, Ora, or Animus herself, I can be a ghost.”
“Good, let’s take care of this quickly then. Board the next train out of Neraka.”
“My pleasure, brother.” Marsuvees bows and leaves the room.
James takes the moment to stand where his brother stood as he watches the lower criminals begin a brawl. He chuckles and takes another sip of his drink, letting the tartness suck the saliva from his mouth. With a deep breath, he returns to his desk and stares at the hologram footage again. Let us see if these energies can prove to be useful.